This 97-foot structure, near the NYSEG stadium in downtown Binghamton, is the last remaining of four such towers erected by Guglielmo Marconi and successfully used to test the possibility of transmitting telegraph signals to trains moving along the adjacent Lackawanna Railroad line. The tower was constructed in 1913, with a 150-foot long aerial connecting it to a second tower (dismantled in 1925) in the vicinity of Chenango Street. (Another pair of towers, neither of which survives, was located in Scranton, PA.)
Backstory and Context
On November 27th 1913, the first "official" wireless transmission was transmitted from Scranton, PA towards the train traveling to Binghamton, NY at 60 miles per hour. In all, 350 words representing several pieces of news were clearly picked up by the operator aboard the train.
This is the last of the four towers to remain standing. It is constructed of open grid framed carbon steel and stands 97 feet 4 inches tall. The tower is solid and stable despite its neglect and age.
Additional information from "The Lackawanna Tests" Wireless Age, Jan 2014) and "Wireless for Railways" Wireless World, Feb 1914