Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse
The Halfmoon Reef lighthouse, built in 1858, once signaled safe passage to mariners sailing into Matagorda Bay from the Gulf of Mexico. It weathered a century of storms until 1942 when a hurricane collapsed the walkway around the perimeter, leaving the structure sagging above the waterline. Locals salvaged the remains and eventually donated the Half Moon to the Calhoun County Historical Commission. Restored and transported to its present site next to the Port Lavaca community center, the Half Moon now serves as a small museum and welcoming beacon for visitors.
Backstory and Context
The light was out of commission during the Civil War as the only mariners operating in the area were attempting to evade a federal blockade. The lighthouse returned to regular operation in 1868. The lighthouse survived major storms until 1942, when damage from a hurricane prompted the Coast Guard to sell the lighthouse rather than repair its foundation. The purchaser donated the wooden structure to the Calhoun County Historical Commision 1978 after using it for his business for many years. Eagle Scouts worked to restore the structure and the lighthouse is now operated by the local historial society and is next to the visitors center and a Texas historical marker that relates the history of the lighthouse.