Clio Logo

Built by or for Jacob Smith or James H. Nesmith, this two-story brick house has unusual stepped gables. As it has been for many years, the house is nearly concealed by trees and vines. Patrick Beirne purchased the house in 1845, and it remained in the Beirne family until 1895. It has been in the John Echols family since.


Patrick Beirne (1798-1876), a merchant, was married to Elizabeth "Betsy" Dean McClung Beirne (1809-1837). 

John Jordon Echols, Sr. (1846-1926) and his wife, Sarah "Sadie" Elizabeth Echols (1849-1912) bought the house from the Beirne family. John Echols served in the Confederate Army with the Rockbridge Reserves and was a farmer with extensive real estate holdings. John and Sarah had seven children. 

Bunn, Morgan. The People of The Old Stone Cemetery: The Burials. Self-published, 2017.

Bunn, Morgan. The People of The Old Stone Cemetery: The Obituaries. Self-published, 2017.

Woods Dayton,  Ruth. Greenbirer Pioneers and Their Homes. Charleston, WV: WV Publishing Co., 1942.