This Protestant Children's Home remained an operational orphanage until 1970. After that, the property was taken over and managed by The Alabama Baptist Children's Home. They built a new orphanage for the children in West Mobile. During the transition between homes the children they were housing in temporary homes.
In 1973 the Protestant Children's Home became Mobile City College. Because of the structure of the house, it was laid out like a dormitory. Then in 1985, the site became the Mobile Business College. In 1991 the old house served its space as the Mobile County Department of Human Resources. And in the 1980s and 1990s the second, one story wing was utilized as a Nursing home. And in 2007, the home was utilized by the Alabama employees as a temporary retirement facility for its Eastern European recruits. The home remained vacant temporarily until it underwent a three million dollar renovation to make it more appealing to Mobile. The renovations were constructed by the Historic Restoration Society, who purchased the property for $440,000. The renovations also accommodated its latest occupancy by the Infant Mystics Society in 2015. The Mystics were a Mardi Gras society that was established in 1867. This society utilized the space as a meeting hall. However, it was also deemed available to the public to rent out for weddings, birthdays and other events.