Plaque adhered to the Q.T.V. fraternity house on South Pleasant Street in 1965 and dedicated to their order, the second fraternal society to be established on the Massachusetts Agricultural College campus, in 1869. The fraternity has since been disbanded. Q.T.V. formed on May 12, 1869 in the South College dormitories on the Mass Aggie campus. It is the only Latin lettered fraternity in the United States. Q.T.V., reportedly so named after the fraternity’s motto, which was disclosed to members upon initiation and is unknown today. Upon formation this local organization quickly grew and by 1874 it went national with other agricultural colleges. In 1917 the fraternity purchased the former home of Captain Fearing of Amherst, on the corner of Fearing Street and North Pleasant. According to rumor the large white home was used by Captain Fearing to hide runaway slaves on they way to Canada during the Civil War. The house was used for decades by the society but after years of struggling financially the building was deemed a fire hazard and torn down in 1965, and soon after a new brick structure took its place. Today the site is occupied by the Department of Communication Disorders.
UMass Archives and Special Collections - RG/45/90/Q8