Biddle Hall, Cheyney University of Pennsylvania
Constructed in 1938, Biddle Hall is home to the offices of the President of Cheyney University as well as many other administrative offices. The building is named in honor of long-serving college board member James G. Biddle, who served on the board from 1912 until his death in 1947
Backstory and Context
Cheyney University dates back to 1837 when Quakers in Philadelphia established the Institute of Colored Youth. Richard Humphreys donated a large portion of his estate for the purposes of educating the African Americans as teachers. The school moved to this location in 1902 and in 1983 it joined the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education as Cheyney University of Pennsylvania. Cheyney University of Pennsylvania is the oldest of all of the HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities)
“History of Cheyney University” http://www.cheyney.edu/about-cheyney-university/cheyney-history.aspx. Accessed 03 Dec. 2017.
“The Cheyney Foundation” https://www.cheyneyfoundation.org/about-us/cheyney-university. Accessed 03 Dec. 2017.