The Greeley house was built around 1820 by the Haviland family. The Greeleys bought a farm in Chappaqua in 1853, partly as an escape from the pressures of the city and partly because Greeley was interested in experimental agricultural techniques.
The family originally lived in a more remote home that they referred to as the House in the Woods. The Greeleys were still grieving the loss of their five-year-old son, and Greeley's wife, Mary, found the property too shaded and remote; apparently their surroundings did little to help improve her mental state. Greeley was printing articles in support of abolition, and when a pro-slavery mob threatened their home, Mary became more determined to live elsewhere, particularly following the New York City draft riots.
The year after the riots, in 1864, Greeley bought the King Street property. Drawings of the home done in Greeley's lifetime suggest that it is little changed. Although Horace Greeley still appreciated the solitude of the House in the Woods and continued to write there, Mary was much happier in the sunnier, central location.
Both Horace and Mary Greeley died in 1872, within weeks of each other. Their daughters, Ida and Gabrielle, continued to live in the King Street home, along with an aunt and an older cousin. In the last months of Greeley's life, he had a new family home constructed, known as Hillside House. It was completed shortly before his death. In 1875, the House in the Woods burned down, and Hillside House burned down in 1890, leaving the King Street house as the only existing home associated with Horace Greeley.
The home now houses the offices of the New Castle Historical Society and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.