This pillared mansion was built near the street, although the property extended over an entire city block; it includes gardens, stables and servants quarters. During the Civil War, it served as a hospital for Confederate soldiers. Whitehall was built by James Walton Harris, a prominent attorney and Planter. It was later owned by the Harris’ granddaughter, Mrs. T.W. Hardy.
Backstory and Context
Built in 1843 by James Walton Harris, Whitehall was originally designed as a two-story Greek
Revival townhouse. The stately mansion exhibits six square, paneled columnns at the edge of a wooden porch. The banisters bordering the porch consist of identically-milled hardwood balusters. Inside the home, heart-pine floors and handsome woodwork provide the background for the Boggess' collection of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century antiques.
1) http://www.southernliving.com/static/pdf/slvacations/ColumbusCulturalHeritage_sept10.pdf 2) http://visitcolumnbusms.org/index.php/interactive_map/location/50#top