Clio Logo

Materials, such as its hand-hewn log frame and its construction methods, indicate that this house was built in the late 1700s and is one of the earliest houses in Lewisburg. Luke Bowyer, a prominent lawyer in the late 1700s and early 1800s, lived here from 1808 to 1814. Later, it belonged to William Foster, who served as Lewisburg's mayor from 1928-1930 and 1933-1942. He is the longest serving mayor to date.


  • Mayor W. W. Foster from Masonic Sketches, 1939.
  • Bowyer-Grow-Foster House, 2018.

While this house has served as a residence for most of its life, it became the site of a string of  restaurants. In its course of becoming a commercial building, additions and appendages were built.

It is now occupied by The Humble Tomato, a restaurant.