During the Civil War, the building became a military hospital.
Following the formation of the State of West Virginia, the library closed and it was used for other purposes, one of which was as a Masonic Lodge. The City of Lewisburg acquired the building in 1935 and after restoration in 1941 it became the Greenbrier County Library and Museum. Following the erection of a new county library in 2007, the building was vacant until becoming the New River Community and Technical College library.
To the immediate west of the library is a small brick building that was the slaves quarters at the Johnston Reynolds house on Chestnut Street. It was moved to serve as an annex to the library.