George Clarke, Sr., who commissioned the home's construction, worked on the residence more or less continually until 1834, the year before he died. The home is one of the most well-documented early residences in the United States. In the home's records there are receipts and bills for the cost of furniture and decor, and there are many original furnishings in the home. The home, which consists of nearly 50 rooms, was built to combine the best of English and American architectural styles.
The home is located on Otsego Lake and is one of the best preserved manor homes from the early republic. Between the home's completion in 1834 and the 1890s, when some repair were made, very few changes were made to the home prior to the restoration that began in the 1960s.
The home remained in the Clarke family until 1963. By that time, the home and grounds were in a state of advanced decline, and there was talk of demolishing the once-great home. In 1964, the Friends of Hyde Hall was formed to preserve the property, which was quickly added to the National Register of Historic Places.