This historic congregation dates back to 1836 when Methodists began work to organize a church in Westport. Reverend James Porter organized and led the congregation in its early years, and in 1853, the congregation dedicated this church on Christmas Day. Before the church was built, the Methodists in Westport went to church in the house of William Miles Clark. The structure has been renovated, modernized, and expanded, but the core structure of the building has changed little and retains its historic appeal. As part of that history, it was here where students and teachers of what would grow to become the Allen School and Westport High School first met.