Clio Logo

Barton Academy was named for Willoughby Barton, an Alabama state legislator from Mobile who introduced an act that created the Board of School Commissioners of Mobile County on January 10, 1826. This building was completed in 1836 is the oldest public school building in the state of Alabama. Barton Academy served as a public school until the 1960s and then was turned completely over to growing Central Office Staff. The building is presently on the state's list of threatened historical landmarks due to its condition and the funds required to preserve the historic building.