Backstory and Context
A prime example of the Second Empire style, the Estate has architectural features including a hand-carved, solid mahogany fireplace, hand-painted ceilings, solid mahogany staircases and pillars, a Tiffany glass skylight surrounded by frescoes, and an original Luini painting from the 16th century. The architect, Russel Sturgis, was also known for designing Yale's chapel. The stone masonry was done by William Sykes, and the wood carvings were designed by William F. Paris.
When Joseph H. Scranton died in 1872, just a year after the building was finished, the property passed to his son, William Scranton. He and his wife, Katherine, retained it until Katherine's death in 1935, when it then passed to Worthington Scranton. Worthington and his wife, Marjorie, however, primarily resided in Dalton, PA. In 1941, they donated the residency to the Diocese of Scranton for the use of the University. The Christian Brothers, the then administrators of the University, lived in the Estate briefly until administration of the University passed to the Jesuits in 1942. In June 1942, the Estate became the primary residency of the Jesuits.
The Office of Admissions currently resides in the Estate, which serves as a fitting welcome to prospective Scranton students.
"Inside The Jesuit Estate." The Aquinas (Vol. 44, No. 3). The University of Scranton. 24 Feb. 1972. Accessed: 15 Sept. 2017. http://digitalservices.scranton.edu/cdm/ref/collection/aquinas/id/4669.
"Estate." University of Scranton Archives and Helen Gallagher McHugh Special Collections. Accessed: 17 Nov. 2017. http://cdm16214.contentdm.oclc.org.cdm/buildingtemplate/collection/p9000coll7/?page=20.