Merchants and Mechanics Savings Bank
Built in 1891, the Merchants and Mechanics Savings Bank was once one of five banks located in the historic commercial district of Grafton. Today, the Merchants and Mechanics Savings Bank building is the only remaining historic bank structure in the downtown area and no longer functions as a bank. The building's architecture reflects the Richardsonian Romanesque style and the building includes with notable architectural features such as a turret and stone arches. At one time, the turret was topped with a feature known as a witch's cap. Over the years, this building served as a jewelry store and dance studio.
Backstory and Context