While George and his wife lived on the property, they started calling it Hunter's Point. They both passed away by 1833, and the property was left to their children, with Jacob Hunter being the last family member to live there. The children decided to sell the property, and in 1835, the 210-acre estate sold for $100,000.
The area was developed between 1852 and 1853 as the city sought to create housing for the vast influx of immigrants from Europe. In 1870, Hunter's Point became part of Long Island City, which also included other small districts in the area. Further development of Hunter's Point continued into the 20th century. However, most of the industry died in the 1970s and 1980s as factories moved elsewhere, leaving behind buildings that fell into disrepair. In 2011, Hunter's Point was recognized once again when Mayor Bloomberg renamed the southern portion of the area Hunter's Point South. Hunter's Point South includes housing, a park, and other public accommodations.