This former school building was constructed circa 1924 and has been well-preserved. The building was constructed on a parcel of land carved from the R.S. Poyner estate and later conveyed to the Norfolk County School Board. In 1970, the property was deeded to the City of Chesapeake. The school contains four instructional classrooms with chalkboards as well as an intact auditorium stage. The City of Chesapeake leases the building to the Wallaceton Ruritan Club.
Backstory and Context
The Gertie School was constructed circa 1924 and continued instructing students until 1954. The architecturally intact one-story school building features a projecting center gable with four tall six-over-six wood sash windows. To the east and west of the projecting gable are additional banks of four six-over-six wood wood sash windows. All windows are mirrored on the rear elevation.
"A Survey Update of Architectural Resources within the Rural Overlay District of the City of Chesapeake, Virginia" Cultural Resources, Inc. June 2013.