Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church
This beautiful church was built in 1911 in the Gothic Romanesque Revival style by a group of German-born settlers who arrived from Cincinnati, Ohio in 1877. The tower reaches a height of 125 feet, allowing the church to be seen from miles around given the flat surrounding landscape. The church has been well maintained and largely unaltered, even after the Second Vatican Council, which encouraged churches to do away with statuary and ornamentation. Immaculate Heart did not remove these from the interior. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. It is open to visitors daily (guided tours are available). The site also includes the rectory, school, and teacher's house. Windthorst Heritage Inc. owns and maintains the church.
Backstory and Context
Photo: Keri Ann Zimmerman, via Wikimedia Commons