This stone structure was built from 1820 to 1821 by Samuel Smith as his home and tannery. The tannery was in the basement. It is the oldest home structure in Greenfield and the oldest known tannery in Ohio. It was also a station on the Underground Railroad. It is now part of the historical complex of the Greenfield Historical Society and is an Ohio Historic Site.
Backstory and Context