40th New York Infantry Monument - Gettysburg, PA
One of nearly a hundred monuments erected throughout Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District, this monument honors the 40th New York Infantry. This particular monument, which shows a Union sharpshooter in cover, was placed at the position of the 40th New York Infantry when they first engaged Confederate soldiers on July 2, 1863.
Backstory and Context
At Gettysburg, Egen led a force of 606 men, Out of these men, 23 were killed, 120 were wounded, and 7 went missing. Despite being wounded in the leg at near Devil's Den during the battle, Egen continued to lead his men and help gain a victory for the Union.
On July 2, 1888, the State of New York dedicated this monument to honor the service and dedication of the men of the 40th New York Infantry. The monument itself is made of Westerly granite crafted by R.D. Barr of the Smith Granite Company out of Westerly, Rhode Island. The monument features a sharp shooter behind the cover of a rock. The soldier is dressed in full uniform, and granite rock structure has a bronze New York State Seal on the North facing side and bronze inscription tablets on the South and West facing sides. Also, there are two flanking markers that are both a square foot. Lastly, the monument is located in the Valley of Death, West of Little Round Top and East of Houck's Ridge.