The monument, dedicated in 1928, was constructed using granite, bronze, and slate as materials. The architects for the project included Don Barber and Thomas Hastings for the design of the granite steele surrounding the bust. Adolph Alexander was commissioned to design the bust, which features bronze as a way to highlight Mitchel. The memorial was put up and the architects were chosen by The Mitchel Memorial Committee.
The inscription reads surrounding the bust of Mitchel at the memorial reads:
IN MEMORY OF / JOHN PURROY MITCHEL / MAYOR OF THE / CITY OF NEW
YORK / 1914-1918 / BORN JULY 19, 1879 / DIED IN THE / SERVICE OF
THE / UNITED STATES / JULY 6, 1918.