Big Four Building
This monumental Neo-Classical Revival-style brick building is attributed to J.B. Stewart, a Huntington-based architect. The original construction cost $60,000, paid for by the Big Four Improvement Company, a consortium of the four major Railroad Fraternal Organizations: the Order of Railway Conductors, the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen. The building’s uses have been as a post office, a private hospital, and a fraternal hall. Since the 1940s, the Big Four Pharmacy has occupied the ground floor.
Corner of Temple Street and 3rd Ave, ca. 1907.
Big Four Building, 1950.
Hinton Hospital, ca. 1940.