Mullenix and Hamilton began their famous confectionery stands business in 1913, and its location for the first stand was East State Street. Hamilton’s stands were known to supply local social events with a variety of different confections that made the events livelier and more joyful. The stands were primarily known for selling soda and other refreshments, but they also sold chewing gum and candy.
Hamilton’s made accessing customers' favorite confections easier by having a “big stand” which was a wood-frame building with a screen where customers could order whatever they wanted. Hamilton’s confections stands were quite popular throughout Nichols Park, but Hamilton decided to expand his business outside of confections stands.
In addition to running the very popular confection stands, Hamilton opened a restaurant which was also located on East State Street. However, in the early 1970’s, the family’s restaurant closed down and became a catering business. Today, Hamilton’s Catering Inc. is still in operation and resides on North East Street in Jacksonville.
Hamilton’s original vision for their confectionery stands brings people together to bond over some sweet treats and to have those treats bring them more joy while they’re with friends. Hamilton’s Catering Co. is down the street from the Hamilton’s mural, and you can feel that original vision come back to life through the service that they provide at a wide variety of social events.