Completed in 1910, White Hall served as Tuskegee's dormitory for women for generations. The building is named in honor of Alexander Moss White and features a clock tower that was added three years after the building was completed. The clock in the tower had a manual winding system until it was refurbished and connected to electricity in 1951. Tuskegee was founded as a one-room school and now enrolls over 3,000 students
In 1881, Booker T. Washington arrived in Alabama to teach in a one-room shanty, near Butler Chapel AME Zion Church. Thirty adults represented his first class. Washington successfully raised funds and lobbied for funds to increase and improve the school. He also recruited the best faculty, including George Washington Carver, who arrived in 1896. Tuskegee became a University in 1985 and has since begun offering its first doctoral programs in integrative biosciences and material science and engineering. It also has the only Aerospace Engineering department at a HBCU (historically black college and university). The university is a National Historic Landmark.
"About Us." Tuskegee University. Accessed September 14, 2014. https://www.tuskegee.edu/about-us.