The Bank of Summers opened its doors in 1895, became a national bank in 1906 and assumed the name National Bank of Summers. The bank presidency was held by McCreery from 1906 until his death in 1925. McCreery, namesake of the Hotel McCreery in Hinton, was a Confederate veteran and local entrepreneur. His childhood home is located on Summers Street. 
A local citizen purchased the vacant bank building in 1981 and donated it to the Summers County Library. Though the library had begun years earlier, it relied on its bookmobile and a rented space. In 1984, the Library completed a renovation of the building and opens its doors to the public.