Initially built as two separate structures, two connections within the buildings converted the Fisher and Latham buildings into one structure. Construction of both buildings began in 1856, and its brick exterior notes the town's response to the many fires that had destroyed structures earlier -- a trend that occurred in many cities during the era.
The larger Latham Block represents typical mid-19th Century commercial design including symmetrical windows with cast iron hoods. The Fisher Building originally enjoyed a similar design, but a renovation in 1900 followed the more ornate Classical Revival style. Thus the Fischer building has limestone trim, exterior decor, and a two-story bay window. Several businesses occupied the building complex but, in general, service industries such as restaurants, theaters, and saloons resided on the first floor while offices and apartments filled both buildings' second and third floors.