Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Brighton School was built in the 1850s. It was originally built as a one-room school in the East Sacramento neighborhood once known as Brighton.
The Brighton School is the oldest
continuously-operating schoolhouse in Sacramento County, and is likely one of
the oldest in the state, as its history is nearly as long as that of
California. The school was built in the 1850s in the Brighton community
(several miles to the west of the building’s current location). It was
originally built as a one-room school, but as the community grew, it was
divided into three separate classrooms. There was also an out-building
constructed at some point in the 1850s.
Fires nearly destroyed the
building on three occasions—1874, 1878, and 1891. As a result of the 1891 fire,
the building was reconstructed, and the current façade may date from that time,
although a sign at the entry of the building states that it was built in 1869.
In 1924, the building was moved
from Folsom Boulevard to its present location in the unincorporated community
of Rosemont. The following year, the name of the school was changed to the
Edward Kelley School. At present, the building houses a preschool. It is the
oldest continuously-operating schoolhouse in Sacramento County and is listed on
the National Register of Historic Places.