The Old Tavern
Built by William Dunton in 1827 three blocks from its current location, this historic tavern and inn was located on the stagecoach line that brought many visitors to Tuscaloosa during the two decades when the city served as the state capitol (1826-1846). It also was the home of the governor in the early 1830s. From 1882 to 1964, the structure was a private home. The Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society acquired the building in 1964 moved it to its present location in Capitol Park. The historical society operates the historic inn as a local history museum. It is one of the only inns built during the nineteenth-century remaining in the state.