The Drish House
This historic house was built in 1837 by enslaved artisans for Dr. John R. Drish, a prominent early settler of the community that became the city of Tuscaloosa. Drish remodeled the mansion in the 1850s, adding columnns to the facade as well as the home's distinctive Italianate tower. The house remained one of the finest residences in the city until 1906 when it was converted into a public school.
Backstory and Context
In the 1940s, the Southside Baptist Church purchased the house as a meeting site, and, over the years, built a large sanctuary abutting the house and a free standing Sunday school building on the property. In this configuration, the house remained until 1995, when the church, with a dwindling and aging population, closed its doors.
The structure was leased for several years to the Heritage Commission of Tuscaloosa County and then deeded to the Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society in July of 2007. The Preservation Society is currently working to stabilize the home and develop a plan for an adaptive reuse of this important area landmark.