Kresge Hall began as Kresge Infirmary in 1950. Named after the Kresge Foundation of Detroit, the infirmary provided health care to the student population. Over the years, it has additionally served as university classrooms, offices, and as the home to Alumni Services.


  • Kresge Hall as it transitioned from an infirmary.
    Kresge Hall as it transitioned from an infirmary.
  • The welcome sign to Kresge Hall.
    The welcome sign to Kresge Hall.
  • For a time, Kresge Hall also housed the Nursing Division of the university.
    For a time, Kresge Hall also housed the Nursing Division of the university.

Beginning in 1950, ailing students could rest in one of the building's two wards, be examined by the in-house x-ray machine, and receive medicine from the dispensary. Later in its history, it would serve as the home to the university's Nursing Division. From there, it transitioned to the home for Alumni Services, Admissions, Institutional Research, and International Learning.


Hess, Earl. Lincoln Memorial University and the Shaping of Appalachia. Knoxville, TN: University of Tennessee Press, 2011.

Page, Bonnie and Cindy Stephenson. Lincoln Memorial University (Memories and More). Harrogate, Tennessee: PrintOne, 2001.

Sweet, Natalie. Images of America: Harrogate and Cumberland Gap. Charleston, South Carolina. Arcadia Publishing, 2014. 

Suppiger, Joseph E. Phoenix of the Mountains: The Story of Lincoln Memorial University. Harrogate, TN: Lincoln Memorial University Press, 2001 (originally published in 1977).