On March 18th, 1897, an article titled May Close The Park appeared in the Spokane Daily Chronicle. There was general frustration among the Park Commission as they struggled with minor vandalism and a lack of maintenance funds. The park did not close, however. The community came together to save the public space, and a bandstand was built in the center of the park. The bandstand - twenty feet by twenty feet - was converted into a gazebo in 1908. The structure slowly degraded over the years and a replica was built in 1990, by which time the original had rotted away. In 2013 a renovation effort was directed towards the again rotting gazebo, and it was retrofitted with durable, lasting materials. Today, the onion dome and the base remain from 1990, but the rest of the structure is relatively new.
The park celebrated one hundred and twenty-five years in 2016 with a month-long celebration. Maintenance and fundraising for the park today comes largely from the community organization Friends of Coeur d'Alene Park, which came together with the 2013 renovation of the gazebo. The park is open from dawn to dusk and can be enjoyed by all ages. Events, such as concerts, are sometimes held in the park.