Clio Logo

This stone dam was built c. 1906 to supply water for the newly founded Sweet Briar College. The earliest course was made of brick (as seen in the photo above), but the later layers were large boulders with the last modern-course made from concrete. In the 19th-century the water was used in a mill that was located downstream from the dam; the only remaining evidence of that site are stone foundations.


  • This 1937 photograph shows the dam with a large water flow. Note the large boulders used in its construction.
  • This more recent (c. 2002) photographs shows the first course, made of brick.