Located on the southeast corner of Grant Park are remnants of Confederate inner line fortifications built in 1863 to defend Atlanta from a Union siege. It was part of a 13-mile defense line around the city, which withstood six weeks of battle before falling to the Union. The site, which was a redoubt, is named after Major General William Henry Talbot Walker, who was killed during the battle.
Galloway, Tammy. "Grant Park." New Georgia Encyclopedia. May 25, 2004. Last Updated May 31, 2016. http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/counties-cities-neighborhoods/grant-park.
Photos: Felch Dumas, via The Historical Marker Database