Constructed in 1905, this suspension bridge made of wood and steel that stretches across the Pearl River is a major landmark in Byram, Mississippi. The bridge was closed to vehicle traffic in 1987 but is still used today as a footbridge.
The bridge was constructed in 1905 and offered the first connection for vehicle traffic between Rankin County and Hinds County. After years of neglect, the bridge started to deteriorate and the wooden boards began to rot while the steel began to rust. The bridge was also covered in graffiti. In 2013 efforts were made to restore the bridge with the addition of safety rails, replacement of wooden boards, and the addition of lights and interpretative signage along with new paint.