Laing Humphries Department Store
This Neo-Classical Revival-style commercial building occupies nearly a full city block. During its first era of use, the Citizens Bank, The Laing Humphries Department Store, and the Elks Lodge shared the space. In a 1907 advertisement, the Laing Humphries Department store touted that they owned their own building. The building is now home to retail stores and the Summers County Visitors Center.
Backstory and Context
Local residents recall going to dances on the top floor of the building in the mid-1960s when the space was still the Elks Lodge. One woman remembered how steep the stairs were and how difficult they were to climb in high heels. Those stairs are located through a door that fronts Second Avenue and lead directly to the top floor. Today, only the ground floor is occupied.
The Citizen's Bank left the space by 1930 and was replaced by a doctors office and Western Union. The former Citizens Bank space is now home to the Summers County Visitors Center. The former Laing-Humphries Department Store space is home to two retail stores.