A.B. Loveman House
A contributing property of the Rhodes Park National Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1977, expanded in 1992), the A.B. Loveman House is an excellent example of Neoclassical architecture. Prominent elements of the home include the large portico with Corinthian columnns and detailed moldings. It was built in 1908 by its namesake, Hungarian immigrant Adolph B. Loveman, the founder of a dry goods store that would eventually become Loveman, Joseph & Loeb, one of the state's major department stores.
Backstory and Context
The Loveman family lived in the house until 1973, when a descendant sold it to a religious group. The Salvation Army then bought it and use it as a boarding house for girls. In the early 1980s, an attorney purchased it to be the law offices for himself and his partner. The partner bought it in 2008. Both attorneys renovated and refurbished the house.
Photo: David J. Gaines, via Historical Marker Database