Melchizedek Jewish Cemetery
Waterbury's first Jewish Cemetery opened in 1875. At the time, it was situated on what was known as the Cheshire Turnpike Road. That road - now called Plank Rd - is now in two parts interrupted by Interstate 84. By the end of the 19th century, Waterbury was also home to a community of "Russian" Jews who established their own burial grounds about 1.5 miles north on Stillson Rd. Across from this "Russian" cemetery is St. Mary's Orthodox cemetery, while Melchizedek abuts the Lithuanian Cemetery.