Cedar Hill Cemetery, 1603 East Chestnut Street
Cedar Hill Cemetery (or East Cemetery as the property was first named), was Carthage's third burial grounds. It was established in 1870 but not platted until 1873. While the cemetery was platted for several hundred burials, many lots have lost their headstones through theft, vandalism or overgrowth. Many veterans are buried in this cemetery. For example, Thomas Gawthrop or Gawthorpe (1791 - 1880), was a veteran of the War of 1812 and Lafayette Bartholomew Ruffin (1833 - 1917) was a Civil War veteran and Elmo Lounis (1919 - 1974) was a World War II veteran. Many Carthage African-American family members are buried in Cedar Hill as well.
Backstory and Context
A rare cast iron headstone for T. Crawford, who died in 1880, is stored at the Powers Museum and was featured as "Artifact of the Month" in June during the 175th Anniversary of Carthage 2017 Exhibit. It was found leaning against the east fence and brought to the museum for safe keeping. Its manufacture has been attributed to the Carthage Foundry which was located at Oak Street and Garrison Avenue (south west corner).
Powers Museum Vertical File (including two transcriptions of graves).