This historic powder magazine was built in 1862 to store gunpowder for the Confederacy during the Civil War. Located in a park named after it, the magazine is one of two such buildings remaining in the state. It was constructed next to the river to allow for easy water transportation. It is believed that the magazine was copy of one built outside the city limits in 1840, after an ordinance barred the storage of powder inside the city. The building is blocked by a metal fence but can be easily from the road. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
After the war, the building was used for general storage space. The city eventually built public housing in the area, which later became property of the U.S. Air Force. The houses and structures in the area became abandoned fell into disrepair. It is not entirely clear, but sometime after 2009 these were torn down, improving the park's attractiveness. It is now often used as a boat launch.