Phelps House, 1146 Grand Avenue
Backstory and Context
The home is used today for public tours and private gatherings and is owned by Carthage Historic Preservation, Inc. The remaining grounds and buildings around the house are owned and used by St. Ann’s School including the original stone stable and garage building.
This home was designed by the Bulkey Brothers architectural firm of St. Louis, Missouri. Stone work was provided by Pickel Stone Company of St. Louis according to one account but another account gives McNerney Brothers contractors of Carthage the credit for excavating and doing all stone and brickwork on the house. The McNerneys owned a local limestone quarry but the Pickel quarries were located outside of Warrensburg, Missouri.
Carthage Historical Homes. Carthage MO: Historical Homes Tour Committee and M. C. Jackson Company, no date (circa 1975 - 1980).
Powers Museum Vertical File: Phelps Home & William Phelps
“See Victorian Architecture at It’s Best in Carthage, Missouri.” Carthage, Missouri: brochure publisher not given and no date (circa 1987-1990).
"Sixty-five years ago..." Carthage Evening Press, July 14, 1962, no page.
VanGilder, Marvin. "Architectural Power Grew from 1890s Work. Carthage Press, May 4, 2005, no page.