Another example of older commercial buildings built in the 19th century being updated in the 20th century with a new modern facade treatment. Two 1880s commercial storefronts were united with a new brick facade after a fire in late 1917. The left store was the long-time home to A. B. Deutsch's Clothing Company and the right store was an even older establishment belonging to J. M. Whitsett's Dry Goods Company. Both Deutsch and Whitsett served the public into the 1920s. In 1922 Whitsett claimed to have shipped the first car load of merchandise ever sent west of Springfield on the new [rail]road. (1) The goods were bought from Samuel C. Davis, the oldest wholesale dry goods merchant in St. Louis. Carthage was a small town then, but a prosperous and growing one. (2) This was in 1870. His store at the time was at this location but in a frame building.
This structure is within the National Register of Historic Places Carthage Courthouse Square Historic District (see link below).
By the late 1920s, more remodeling was done to this structure to create a totally new storefront for the J. C. Penney store from part of this building and part of the building next door in the Central National Bank structure. This store served the community for many decades. The Front Page store featured in the Google view closed in late 2018. The property currently is being developed into offices, an event center and a fitness center associated with the Fair Acres Y.M.C.A. (see Clio entry for same on south side of town).
In 1975 a Carthage limestone marker was added outside the J. C. Penney store in the concrete sidewalk that acknowledges former local resident James Scott, ragtime composer (see Clio entry for former Central National Bank building located next to this property, 149 East Third Street).