After moving to Rhode Island, Throckmorton, fearing that religious persecution would follow his party to the new colony, decided to establish a small settlement in what is now Bronx, New York. Before he received the land, however, Throckmorton had to swear allegiance to the Dutch, who owned New York City at the time. Throckmorton made the move to Throgs Neck in 1642 with around 35 other families. The settlement would be short-lived. In 1643, Siwonoy Indians, who also occupied land around New York City, raided the settlement after first destroying another settlement just north of Throgs Neck, established by Anne Hutchinson. The Siwonoys killed every settler they came across. Luckily for Throckmorton, he was away at the time. He wouldn't return to Throgs Neck after that.
Throgs Neck forever carried Throckmorton's name after he left. Though originally it was written Throggs Neck, the City of New York started using one G instead of two, and most official markings have one G, but many people from the area still use two G's when referring to Throgs Neck. Throgs Neck eventually developed into a neighborhood. In 1961, a bridge was built over Throgs Neck, called Throgs Neck Bridge, to connect the Bronx to Queens.