In 1881 the YMCA program was initially established in Carthage. At the time, the organization had no permanent home, spending a decade rotating among volunteer spaces.
This local chapter was officially organized on June 4,1890, with a constitution and board of directors. They rented the upstairs rooms at the R.H. Rose Mercantile building at the northwest corner of the square and stayed until forced to move in 1903. (See Clio entry for Damon Building, 101 East 3rd Street.)
To address the need for a physical space for the organization, on March 26,1907, G. A. Cassil transferred his ownership of the 75 x 138-foot lot at the northeast corner of Main and Sixth to eight different men representing the churches of the city to be held in trust for the association. In 1909 a cornerstone ceremony was held at the location and building commenced. The cost of the building was $40,000.