Free to the public for enjoyment and enlightenment, The R.W. Norton Art Gallery is a non-profit museum built in 1966 which features original works of American and European art. With the addition of the South Wing in 1990 and the North Wing in 2003, the Norton has continued to expand its permanent collection and bring outstanding art exhibitions from all over the country to the greater Shreveport area.
In the early 1920s, Richard W. Norton (1886-1940) became one of the discoverers of the Rodessa Oil Field in north Louisiana . Over time, Mr. Norton's wife and son began to amass a significant collection of fine art. In 1946, to honor Mr. Norton and for the benefit of the community, Richard W. Norton, Jr. (1919-1974) and his mother, Mrs. Richard W. Norton (1886-1975) created the R.W. Norton Art Foundation. In turn, the Foundation eventually established the R.W. Norton Art Gallery, basing its initial collection upon donations from the acquisitions of the Nortons. Today, due to the on-going efforts of the Board of Control and the Foundation's work, the R.W. Norton Art Gallery's offerings continue to expand, grow, and contribute to their community.