The 83rd Precinct, originally the 20th, was built in Bushwick, a neighborhood of Brooklyn. The neighborhood was known for heavy crime and poverty after a population increase following the Civil War. To intimidate these criminals, the 83rd Precinct was designed in a Romanesque Revival style, which gave it a fortress-like presence. The building was constructed with different colored bricks, including red, yellow and ochre. A corner tower and clock peered over the neighborhood, making the building much more intimidating. At the entrance, the portico was supported by four columnns. The building was also connected to a stable by a cell block wing. All of these features made the 83rd Precinct a castle inside a city neighborhood.
The Precinct was named the 20th Precinct for many years. In 1929, it became the 83rd Precinct. However, the 83rd was moved to 480 Knickerbocker Avenue in 1983. Luckily, the building was not torn down like many of the other police precincts built around the same time. Eventually, the Brooklyn North Task Force called it home, and they are still located there today. The building received landmark status in 1977, and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.