Cranston-Geary House (Bramson Home)
The Cranston-Geary House, or the Bramson Home, as it is known locally, was built in 1909 by architect George Sellon. Sellon was California's first state architect. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context
The home is a curious blending of Craftsman styling with a degree of Japanese details. Sellon built a number of structures in the Sacramento area, including the Realty Exchange Building, the Dos Rios School, and the Caleb Greenwood School. Sellon was the first state architect for California, a position he held from 1907-1909.
Cranston sold the house to William Geary in 1912. Geary was a prominent local pharmacist and civic leader. The Geary family lived in the home until 1942. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.