Location of the Razed Mason's Building, 1840-1850
Corner of Morgan Ave. and Sandy St., is a large stone marker. “Mason, The Grand Lodge, Ancient Free and accepted Masons of the State of Illinois was organized on the third floor of this building April 6, 1840. The Present Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of the State of Illinois was organizations and charted on the third floor of the building formally located here April 9, 1850”. The building was razed and now it’s a parking lot.
Backstory and Context
Jacksonville Chapter No. 3:
A dispensation was granted to Jacksonville Chapter by Joseph K. Stapleton, Deputy General Grand High Priest, on 25 July 1845. The first officers were William B. Warren, High Priest; Phillip Coffman, King; John T. Jones, Scribe. The dispensation is in printed form and on the back is written:
N.B. Order of conferring degrees as established by the G.G. Chapter, Mark Master, Past Master, Most Excellent Master,
Holy Royal Arch Mason, Royal Master, Select Master. The last two ad libitum.
The first convocation was held 15 September 1845, with Nathaniel Coffman presiding. The dispensation was read; W. B. Warren took the chair and opened the chapter in due form. A constitution and by-laws were adopted. Three petitions for degrees were received; all were elected, and all received the degrees the same day. When the charter was issued, W. B. Warren was named as proxy for J. K. Stapleton to install officers and constitute the chapter.