Berlenbach bought a house in 1864 that stood where the current structure is located. He tore this two-story house down in 1887 and began constructing the home that sits there today. When deciding on an architect, Berlenbach decided to let his son, F.J. Berlenbach Jr., design the home himself. Berlenbach Jr. was an established architect in Brooklyn, who owned his own design firm. He later served as a design consultant for the Archdiocese of Brooklyn and the Sisters of St. Dominic.
The home is designed with a Queen Anne architectural style. The building stands three stories tall, and the roof is flat. It is constructed with clapboard, which includes multiple wood carvings such as dragons, flowers, and sunbursts. The house was built to be a multi-family home, also called a tenement. Unlike many of the homes in that area built during this time period, this home has survived without being altered.