McMechen House Inn
Built in the Greek Revival Style, construction on the McMechen house began in 1853 and was completed by 1855. During the Civil War, the Inn served as headquarters for both Union and Confederate soldiers. It functioned as a private home for the McMechen family, an inn, and a general store ran by Samuel McMechen. Samuel McMechen, the owner, was an active member of the community, serving the Presbyterian Sunday School throughout the Civil War. McMechen also actively campaigned for the establishment of rail lines in the South Branch Valley. The McMechens had four children, all girls, two of whom died in early childhood. The surviving daughters, Elizabeth and Carrie, never married and stayed on at the Inn until their deaths. Carrie died at the age of 91 in 1944. At this time, the property was inherited by CT McCoy, who made renovations but also maintained the ambiance of the original building. McCoy established McCoy's Grand Theater directly next to the Inn and later consolidated the two properties into the McCoy-McMechen Museum. After McCoy's death in 1982, the property was purchased by Art and Evelyn Volotto, who continued restoration. The Inn changed hands again in 1993, purchased by Bob and Linda Curtis. They continued to operate the Inn and complete restoration. Currently the property is back on the market.