Old St. Michael's Dormitory
Now called the Lamy Building, this 1878 structure was St. Michael's Dormitory, located south of the St. Miguel Mission. The Dormitory was run by the Brothers of Christian Schools, being part of Santa Fe's St. Michael's College (now the College of Santa Fe). This dorm was for the boys of the college, as well as being the main building of the college. Three-stories tall and donned with a bell tower, a fire in 1926 destroyed the third floor and the tower; the third floor was not rebuilt. In 1947, it became a dorm for St. Michael's High School after the St. Michael's College was moved elsewhere in Santa Fe and renamed College of Santa Fe. Sold to the state of New Mexico by the Brothers, it now houses state offices.
Backstory and Context
"Erected in 1878 by the Brothers of the Christian Schools, this building was for many years the main structure of St. Michael's College. It was originally three stories high and was the highest and largest adobe building in Santa Fe. Typical late nineteenth-century details included a tower, porticos, galleries, and a mansard roof. Administration, class, and faculty rooms occupied the first two floors, while the third floor was used as a dormitory.